Prof Dr S.M. Aqil Burney has served well over 42 years at University of Karachi. Now Dr. Aqil Burney is Professor at College of Computer Science and Information Systems (CCSIS) at Institute of Business Management (IoBM)Karachi, one of the leading Business Schools of the country.
Dr. Aqil Burney was a Meritorious Professor (R.E.) and approved supervisor in Computer Science and Statistics by the Higher Education Commission, Govt. of Pakistan. He was also the founder Director (UBIT) & Chairman of the Department of Computer Science, University of Karachi. He is also member of various higher academic boards of different universities of Pakistan.
His research interest includes artificial intelligence, soft computing, neural networks, fuzzy logic, data mining, statistics, simulation and stochastic modeling of mobile communication system and networks and network security, ,Now heading the detp. of actuarial science and risk management at CSCIS – IoBM.Teaching mostly MS(CS) PhD(CS))courses such as Data Warehousing,data mining & ML and information retrieval systems,fuzzy systems ,advanced theory of statistics, Markov chains and Financial Time Series.
He is author/co-author of five books, various technical reports and has published more than 145 research papers in national and international research journals and has attended around 60 national and international conferences/seminars/symposiums with more than 470 citations. He has supervised hundreds of projects in operation research, statistics, simulation and modeling, software engineering and intelligent systems,Computer science , stochastic processes and biological/ physical sciences. Twelve research scholars completed Ph.D and five research students completed M Phil / M.S under his supervision in mathematical and computing sciences. At present more than five M.S./Ph.D. scholars are working under his supervision in the field of CS/IT and statistics in CS/IT.
- 2013 – Certificate Training, Supply Chain Management modeling development, from IoBM
- 1994 – Certification in Quality Management and Library Services, from Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
- 1987 – Ph.D. Mathematics Algorithemic Analysis Design, Simulation and Modeling for Multivariate Time Series Anal, from University of Strathclyde
- 1983 – Certificate In Demographic Studies, Demography and Population Studies, from Asian Institute of Statistics(UN)
- 1983 – MPhil, Risk Theory and Insurance Modeling and Simulation A stochastic Approach, from University of Karachi
- 1972 – Master of Science (MSc), Statistics, from University of Karachi
- 1970 – BSc, from DJ Science College
- 1968 – HSC, from Jamie Millia College
Areas of Expertise/Interest
- Operations Research
- Numerical analysis
- Regression and Design
- Time series
- Simulation and Modeling
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Mining
- Best IT Educationist – NCR 2002-3
- ISSOS shield best Statistician 1998
- Best IT Academician Award 2002-2003
- Research Award 2003-4
- Many awards and shields as best speaker on IT/CS